Credit: Kitchen Daily
1 16-oz. can black beans, drained
1 16-oz. can kidney beans, drained
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 carrots, finely diced
1 large onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
1 package taco seasoning
1 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
1 egg, beaten
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons vegetable oil for cooking
8 round pineapple slices, 1/8 -inch thick
1 avocado, thinly sliced
8 whole grain hamburger buns, toasted
1/2 cup jalapeno ketchup*
1. Mash the black beans and kidney beans together in a large bowl and set aside.
2. In a large saute pan over medium heat, saute the carrots, onions, and peppers in the olive oil for about 6-8 minutes, or until softened. Add the corn and saute for one more minute.
3. Add the vegetables to the mashed beans and taco seasoning. Mix well, then add the beaten egg and breadcrumbs. Stir well to incorporate and season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Using a 1/2 cup measuring cup, divide the mixture into 8 equal portions and form into patties. Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, prepare the grilled pineapple and jalapeno ketchup. Grill the pineapple slices on a hot grill or grill pan for 1 minute per side, until grill marks appear. Set aside.
6. Heat a large nonstick saute pan over medium heat; remove the veggie burgers from the refrigerator. Drizzle 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in the pan and cook 4 of the veggie burgers for 3 minutes per side, until golden brown. Repeat with the remaining 4 burgers.
7. Serve the burgers on toasted buns with the grilled pineapple, sliced avocado, and jalapeno ketchup.