#Lamb | Credit: Kitchen Daily
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
4 lamb shanks (about 4 pounds total)
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 medium yellow onions, halved and thinly sliced
2 ribs of celery, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 bay leaves
4 sprigs fresh thyme
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
6 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
1 1/2 quarts low-sodium beef stock
1 pint of dark beer
1/4 cup grated fresh horseradish
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Set a large Dutch oven on the stove top over medium-high heat and add olive oil.
3. Lightly dredge each shank in flour then brown in the pot on all four sides - about 10 minutes total.
4. Remove shanks from pot and add onion, garlic, carrots and celery. Saute vegetables for 6-8 minutes until very caramelized. Add thyme, bay and season with salt and pepper.
5. Deglaze with beer and add stock. Nestle shanks back into the pot then cover with a lid and place in oven to braise. Cook for 2 hours until meat is just about falling off the bone.
6. When done, lift out shanks and set aside loosely covered with foil. Discard thyme and bay leaf.
7. Return liquid back to pot and set over high heat to reduce. Add grated fresh horseradish and reduce sauce by half - skim fat and discard
Serve shanks and pour over horseradish jus.